Stone Bros and Byrd

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Stone Bros and Byrd

Old Fine Point
Does anyone here have details as to what is happening at the current Stone Bros and Byrd site. The plans I glimpsed looked like some new residential development, but I'm not sure.  
Also, where is the Garden Shop relocating to?  Rumor is they will stay in the "neighborhood," but I don't know what that means since that sort of business can't just fit in to any location.
That's a beloved spot with deep community roots, so any details are appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Stone Bros and Byrd

wags
Came across this on Twitter.

That thread links to this document, looks like they're getting a zoning variance. Unless I missed it, I don't see much detail on the actual building. Two floors of garage parking, two street level commercial tenants. A "residential lobby" so it's apartments or condos. No idea how many floors total though.
Gib
Reply | Threaded
|

Gib
Plans for the Stone Bros site have been announced.  Picture looks like 6, though the article says 7 story condominium. Plus about 3,500 of retail.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/05/20/beacon-street-developer-plans-condos-in-durham.html

Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
Also related to the OP’s question, it says the Stone Bros business is moving to a property “across the street”. Perhaps next to Blue Note? The other side is the old Bulls stadium. Will be interesting to see where they end up.
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
In reply to this post by Gib
It's 7 stories where the site slopes down. So probably just an extra level of parking at the lowest point of the site. In any case, looks good. Going with a quality local architect pays off.

I assume these will be priced at least as high as The Bartlett, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised. We don't have enough condos in the 300k range; it seems most of the new ones start at 400k.
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Old Fine Point
Found an updated high-res rendering with very minor revisions. It's gotten a little blander/more generic, but still a handsome building.

https://beacon-street.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/the-george-exterior-1.jpg

Edit: and here are some interior renderings and pricing as well. It's being called "The George." Pricing is crazy... beginning at $600/sf and working its way up from there.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
Definitely a nice looking building. Should fit really nicely in that neighborhood.
Reply | Threaded
|

CAMatti
In reply to this post by Old Fine Point
Spoke with an employee yesterday. She said SB&B is moving to the old Pine State Electric location, which is two blocks down Washington St. Was sorry to hear that Pine State has closed permanently, but delighted to hear the garden store will still be around.

Reply | Threaded
|

SeriousPetes
CAMatti wrote
Spoke with an employee yesterday. She said SB&B is moving to the old Pine State Electric location, which is two blocks down Washington St. Was sorry to hear that Pine State has closed permanently, but delighted to hear the garden store will still be around.
I see this as a huge win for everyone. The current SB&B location is iconic, but the lot is not ideal for showing off large items or big variety. The Pine State building is super close to their old location, it's bigger, better parking, more central to the OND and TP neighborhoods, and in a couple years will be adjacent to the Belt Line.

Meanwhile OND and downtown adjacent gets more dense housing to help with housing supply, even if it's just top end pricing supply, it helps.
Reply | Threaded
|

bear
I was walking past this yesterday (a chilly Christmas constitutional) and I noticed the rented fencing around the site had mostly been removed. Meanwhile, mentions of the project have been scrubbed from Beacon Street Development's site and they've removed the unit sale listings from Zillow and Redfin. This seems... odd. Does anyone know what's going on here?
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
That's incredibly strange -- I haven't been able to find info either. It seemed like they had successful sales?
Really really curious to know what's going on; I hope this won't be a vacant lot for years now.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
Yeah hopefully they just sell that site to someone else if the plans have changed. Can’t imagine there would be a shortage of interest.
Reply | Threaded
|

GucciLittlePig
In reply to this post by elevatoroperator
(Greetings from the DT Raleigh forum! )

I go by this once a week with the Bull City Run Club, and had noticed the same thing about the fence recently coming down after a lack of progress. I reached out to the developer and received the following response this morning. I just hope this doesn't turn into what the Lynde condo project in Raleigh did, where it ended up being abandoned for years when the project fell through.

As we navigate the uncertainty of the economy and its direct impact on the real estate industry, we understand that the timing for a successful residential condominium community is critical - and have therefore concluded it unwise to start the project at this time. The primary variables in our decision to pause were rooted in a need to see construction costs stabilize and supply chain healing. Our goal remains to develop The George as designed. We will closely monitor conditions and work to be ready to launch again at the earliest and most opportune time, once a clear path to delivery can be realized.

Those who have expressed interest in The George will receive information and updates as they become available. We appreciate your patience and understanding and look forward to continuing as planned once market conditions have settled.