Quick Hits: Towneplace Suites

Dave @ Building Bull City
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quick Hits: Towneplace Suites

Durham_Transplant
I don’t question the need for more hotel space in the city, just seems like a really odd place for it. It’s close to 85, 147 and downtown but the immediate surroundings are just strange with the reservoir right there. That said, I’m sure options are somewhat limited for space to develop a new hotel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ChapelHillSean
Ditto, what a weird spot... nothing walkable and the city water right there....
Reply | Threaded
|

Dave @ Building Bull City
Administrator
I mean, I imagine that the main reason is proximity to Duke Main Hospital (and the rest of Duke as well). It just seems like a lot since on that strip of Hillsborough Rd you have:

- Hilton
- Quality Inn & Suites
- Days Inn by Windham
- Motel 6
- Towneplace (Coming Soon)
- Cole Mill Hotel (Coming Soon)

Not to mention, close to Duke Hospital and Duke Campus:
- Cambria
- Millennium
- Hilton Garden Inn
- AC Marriott (Coming Soon)
- JB Duke Hotel
- Washington Duke
mjp
Reply | Threaded
|

mjp
And here I thought the Springhill Suites at Lakewood and Mangum currently under construction was being squeezed into a tiny footprint. At least that one is walkable to downtown. This one really has absolutely nothing going for it from a walkability standpoint. Agree with other comments here, kind of an odd site selection and the market doesn't seem clear with so many other hospital hotels.
Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
I agree the hospital is probably a driving force. I live around the corner in Watts-Hillandale and I'm actually surprised it's not becoming an apartment building of some sort. I agree with the walkability somewhat, there are sidewalks but the pain point is crossing the 'interchange' intersection with 147. They are planning to redo Hillandale with bike lanes, etc. from there up to I-85 so that may help some.  I half expect the property across from this on Hillandale (single level office building now) to eventually redevelop into something else.