Hillsborough Road Coca-Cola Bottling Site

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hillsborough Road Coca-Cola Bottling Site

Durham_Transplant
Noticed this morning that a zoning change request was filed at the end of the year to allow “mixed use including multifamily and commercial”. This is a pretty big site at 11.7 acres. Would be a great infill project IMO.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hillsborough Road Coca-Cola Bottling Site

Durham_Transplant
TBJ has new details about this potential project by The Ardent Companies out of Atlanta.

-370 apartments
-24 townhomes
-68k square feet of commercial
-Grocery store occupying 23k square feet similar in style to Durham Co-Op
-Remaining commercial mix of food/beverage, soft goods and services

Sounds like the developer plans to take possession of the property by year end and the actual construction is probably still some time off. Would be a great use of that site.
Reply | Threaded
|

SeriousPetes
This post was updated on .
Now that's the kind of development we need replicated around the city. High density and medium density housing together. Retail and a designated local grocery store space. On paper this is the most exciting development I can think of in Durham, this is what Northgate Mall could have been (but bigger).

edit: on second thought, I'm very curious how parking minimums are going to play out with this. Can developers get a pass on parking minimums?

edit 2: Oh, I see the site map on in the article. Certainly not light on parking, but still seems like a great project for what they need to work around
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
It will have a significant amount of parking, including surface lots. The usual suspects are already on Twitter bitching about how this is actually not a good thing at all because it doesn’t conform to some purely theoretical idea of urbanism. Wish people would live in the real world and understand that a project like this is the only way to catalyze higher density along a stretch like this part of Hillsborough with zero residential or walk ability. If this project gets built and Trinsic is successful with their Aura project a block over you have the beginnings of a much more dense corridor. As it is, this proposal is significantly more ambitious than I would have expected for the location and offers much more benefit than what is proposed at Northgate on a much smaller site in a less desirable location. Rant over.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
The rezoning request for this project was approved so looks like it will be moving forward sometime early 2025. Evidently the bottling operation will still be there a bit longer prior to planned relocation to a new facility.