Downtown Growth Patterns

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Downtown Growth Patterns

Steve
I was wondering what people thought about Durham's growth patterns, particularly when it comes to high rises. For the purposes of this forum, I'm going to define a "high rise" as something of at least 10 stories. To my knowledge there have only been three private sector high rises built over the past decade: One City Center, and the two just east of DBAP. Compare that to Raleigh, where I can think of at least 20 off the top of my head that are either proposed, under construction or recently built.

I'm NOT trying to start an argument about Durham vs. Raleigh. But, it's not clear to me why there's such a difference. Durham has about 60% as many people, so I'd expect more like a dozen proposals. (Let's be clear that the number of PROPOSED towers in Raleigh is substantial, but the number actually under construction is quite low). I expected that the ATC expansion would have had a cluster of high rises along with some sort of "innovation" space, and that it would already be moving. What do people think? Why the difference? For what it's worth, I'm not saying having more high rises is better or worse, I'm honestly just perplexed.