Central Park Area Projects

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Central Park Area Projects

nicholas
I stumbled across this on another forum. Anyone familiar with this project? Not sure where exactly on Rigsbee this is, but maybe across the street from the skate park?

https://www.architecturefirm.co/work-1?fbclid=IwAR0c60VT8HCGISC7synsaxWG91Jnz_MkvTZS1yu5xyMkZlnUU4adfwxH90U#/durham-apartments/
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Central Park Area Projects

Durham_Transplant
It’s discussed in more detail here. Located at the corner of Rigsbee and W Corporation across from Surf Club.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article249155505.html

The Central Park area is going to be nuts the next few years. Known/announced projects:

—This project
—GeerHouse
—Townhouses at 120 Broadway
—The Vega
—The new condo project at the Stone Bros site
—Potential YMCA redevelopment
Reply | Threaded
|

nicholas
Ah, thanks. Couldn't quite place it without seeing the surrounding area in the renderings.

I think that this is going to be the decade for Durham. The 2010s were monumental, but by the end of this decade I think we will see Durham quickly pull away from Greensboro and join Charlotte and Raleigh as the clear cut top three cities in NC. Honestly, I think Durham has a chance to start shifting the center of gravity in the Triangle away from Raleigh and towards itself if the city is aggressive about projects such as bicycle boulevards, rails to trails, etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

CarolinaFan
I moved to Durham in 1992, when the Bulls still played at the old ballpark, Liggett was still making cigarettes downtown (the smell of tobacco filled the air) and the American Tobacco complex was sitting abandoned. It is pretty amazing the changes that have happened and are about to happen since then.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
In reply to this post by Durham_Transplant
Was downtown for dinner last night (M Sushi FTW) and on the way back home we went down Rigsbee. Looks like a significant amount of activity about to start. The Vega site already appears to be under construction and the GeerHouse site and the site at the corner of Rigsbee/Corporation (where the Pickleback bar sits) were both fenced off.
Reply | Threaded
|

cooper
Massengills Auto at 715 Rigsbee sent an email out to customers that they are closing permanently at the end of the month.
No word of future plans for lot.
With MotorCo development and 2 apartment developments planned/in progress across the street, this block will be completely unrecognizable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
There’s also a recent development case for a mixed use project (residential w/first floor retail) at 501 Washington St. Will be behind the single story stretch of buildings where Plum restaurant and a few other things are located. Haven’t seen a single rendering or even a mention of that project anywhere though which is strange.
Reply | Threaded
|

cooper
I believe I saw that a while ago via a loopnet posting.
The current posting has a rendering of an office building there - https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/501-Washington-St-Durham-NC/14950938/
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
Yeah it seems like this is following the path of other projects in pivoting from office to residential post-pandemic.

Here’s the description from the development case: “two new mixed-use buildings with a connecting multi-story open air bridge”

So should be a unique project at a minimum. Curious to see what it ends up looking like.