608 N Mangum

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

608 N Mangum

McHugh
First time chiming in here. I was reviewing the site plan submissions from July on the city's website, and I came across a proposal for 6 townhouses at 608 N Mangum. Normally I wouldn't think twice about it (as there are many empty lots in that area primed to be developed), but that particular address is the location of the original Saltbox Seafood. Has anyone heard anything about this? I guess all good things must come to an end at some point, but it would be a shame if they are planning on building over one of the only restaurants in that area (and a really good one at that).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 608 N Mangum

Durham_Transplant
According to the Durham property tax records, the property was just sold in November 2019 for $500,000. Certainly lends some credence to the idea that it could be redeveloped. People will assuredly go nuts if this actually happens but hopefully Saltbox will continue to maintain a downtown presence.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dave @ Building Bull City
Administrator
McHugh - you beat me to the punch. I was going to address this in my next Development Watchlist.

I don't have any more information that you do, but it certainly looks as though this could be the end of the original Saltbox.
Reply | Threaded
|

cooper
Looks like other changes in the area with retail buildings on the other side of Mangum under contract.
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/715-725-N-Mangum-105-W-Corporation-St-Durham-NC/20447831/

I know there was also supposed to be the Leyland Post condos near there as well, but from what I can see that project looks stalled or cancelled.
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
Even more happening in the area: just got an instagram ad for a new condo building next to Mangum Flats, at the corner of Hunt St. and Mangum: https://firstlook.arraydurham.com/

New condos from the mid-$200s (excluding parking, I'm assuming). Presale starting next month; delivery late 2021.