216-218 Rigsbee

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

216-218 Rigsbee

bear
There's a proposal before the Historic Preservation Commission to demolish the building at 216-218 Rigsbee (right next to the new municipal parking garage) and the application includes some preliminary information about what they plan to replace it with: a 12-story high-rise. The parcel is tiny--super skinny and only ..08 acres!--so it will be interesting to see what they ultimately plan to build there. Does anyone else know anything about this project? Here's the link to the application: https://www.durhamnc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/45211/COA2200031-Staff-Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 216-218 Rigsbee

wags
love super skinny buildings. rumor is airbnbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

McHugh
Interesting find. Back in January TBJ had an article about how this building was going to be renovated for apartments. This definitely seems more interesting (the renderings for the renovation were a bit lackluster). I hope they have everything lined up for the new construction before they begin the demolition, as it would be a shame if this just ended up becoming a vacant lot.
rik
Reply | Threaded
|

rik
Also interesting, if I'm reading the map correctly, the last page in the link from the first post in this thread appears to show that the old McDonald's site is a "proposed" high-rise building site - don't think I've heard anything about what's going there. Anyone else?

Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
No details that anyone here seems to be aware of yet. Seems very likely though. The McDonald’s was demoed in October so they almost certainly aren’t going to just put another one there at this point.
Reply | Threaded
|

CarolinaFan
N&O story on 9/16

"Developer Nish Evans plans to demolish a downtown Durham building and replace it with a 12-story tower, records show.

The Historic Preservation Commission unanimously granted Evans’ request this month because although the building is around a century old, it has been so dramatically altered that it is no longer thought to contribute to the district’s historic character.

The building, at 216 Rigsbee Ave., is just south of the city’s Morgan-Rigsbee parking garage and opposite the U.S. Post Office."

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article263414508.html#storylink=cpy
Reply | Threaded
|

longtimer
From the agenda for the January 10, 2023 meeting of the Historic Preservation Commission, I found this report on the impact of the building on the surrounding area. Confirmation it will be 11 stories tall. There are - I believe - unseen renders of the place to this point. One of them is below.
Interesting document overall; it acknowledges as well there is a pending development on the McDonald's lot.
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
As previously stated elsewhere, the McDonald's site is getting a 5-over-1 apartment building with retail on one corner. I personally saw the building plans.

This is the first I'm seeing of an actual plan for this tower -- looks like a respectable proposal and a great use of a very skinny site. I'm surprised they are able to put windows along the properly line like that though...? Do they own the neighboring property?
Reply | Threaded
|

longtimer
Not sure about the ownership structure. I haven't gone so far as to look at the property records... yet  However, they are preserving the preexisting wall so maybe that has something to do with it?
I'm also excited about this development. Hopefully this starts a trend. Would like to see something similar next to Novus... there are some slender outlines on the other side of the lot in the renders.

Re: Mcdonalds:
Doesn't seem like an amazing use of land but oh well. Better than what was there before. Are the plans too advanced to change at this stage?
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
longtimer wrote
they are preserving the preexisting wall so maybe that has something to do with it?
Shouldn't affect it. Building code does not allow any openings in walls that are between 0 and 3 feet from the property line, which made me wonder if the adjacent buildings are on the same lot. Maybe there are exceptions but i can't recall any.

Even aside from building code issues, what happens if the neighbor decides to build up, and all of a sudden all those condos/apartments lose all of their light? Seems to make sense that this is being designed in context of an owner that has control of the neighboring building.

longtimer wrote
Re: Mcdonalds:[...] Are the plans too advanced to change at this stage?
I saw a working construction set, so unfortunately, yes. Seems like a done deal.