216-218 Rigsbee

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

216-218 Rigsbee

bear
There's a proposal before the Historic Preservation Commission to demolish the building at 216-218 Rigsbee (right next to the new municipal parking garage) and the application includes some preliminary information about what they plan to replace it with: a 12-story high-rise. The parcel is tiny--super skinny and only ..08 acres!--so it will be interesting to see what they ultimately plan to build there. Does anyone else know anything about this project? Here's the link to the application: https://www.durhamnc.gov/DocumentCenter/View/45211/COA2200031-Staff-Report
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: 216-218 Rigsbee

wags
love super skinny buildings. rumor is airbnbs.
Reply | Threaded
|

McHugh
Interesting find. Back in January TBJ had an article about how this building was going to be renovated for apartments. This definitely seems more interesting (the renderings for the renovation were a bit lackluster). I hope they have everything lined up for the new construction before they begin the demolition, as it would be a shame if this just ended up becoming a vacant lot.
rik
Reply | Threaded
|

rik
Also interesting, if I'm reading the map correctly, the last page in the link from the first post in this thread appears to show that the old McDonald's site is a "proposed" high-rise building site - don't think I've heard anything about what's going there. Anyone else?

Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
No details that anyone here seems to be aware of yet. Seems very likely though. The McDonald’s was demoed in October so they almost certainly aren’t going to just put another one there at this point.