classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Streets at Southpoint

elevatoroperator
This post was updated on .
Found these on the website of the firm doing the ATC Expansion. Early suggestions of what Southpoint could become in the future, with more mixed use development replacing some of the current anchors.

Phase 1

Phase 2
Gib
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Streets at Southpoint

Gib
Wow!! That's incredible.  I'm glad they are already preparing for the future. I'm pleasantly surprised its going up on the actual mall property and not that area behind the Hyatt Place. With Sears empty, and I wouldn't be surprised if we loose another department store in the future, there will be a lot of unused space in the mall and unused parking.  These seems like a lot better use that turning the empty Sears into a Dave & Busters (or equivalent) or worse, an Amazon warehouse.

I see a lot of similarities with University Hill, especially with the Phase II design. Granted, it is the same developer.
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
It's the same design firm as University Hill too. I'm really not crazy at all about the design itself; it's actually relatively low quality and quite disappointing compared to what exists at Southpoint today.

They've done a reasonably good job creating a rich pedestrian experience in the outdoor portion of the mall.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dave @ Building Bull City
Administrator
University Hill surprised me by failing at internal walkability. It is obviously not in a spot where walkability to nearby stuff is a big consideration, but even when I drive there, I almost feel as though I am supposed to drive between some of the retail islands (or walk through large parking lots with no real paths for pedestrians).

The murals do brighten up the drive around the area, though. And I am pumped to try BB's Chicken when it opens up.