New 30 story tower for Durham?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New 30 story tower for Durham?

ChapelHillSean
Check out elevatoroperator posts in dtraleigh.com https://community.dtraleigh.com/t/raleigh-area-mall-redevelopments/1184/605

He is speculating a tower taller than city one?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New 30 story tower for Durham?

Durham_Transplant
More curiously, he or she seems to suggest that the project in question is not at the ATC2 or South Bank building sites. Not sure where else something like that would go.
mjp
Reply | Threaded
|

mjp
This post was updated on .
"(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)" is all I see. Must have been deleted in the last hour.

Edit: looks like you can still see the edit history clicking around those comments. I won't share the text out of respect for elevatoroperator's decision to remove that info but one can go see for themselves for the time being.
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
I'm active here too guys. Really didn't want this to spread beyond that thread, or else I'd have posted it here myself. But I should've known better considering how thirsty all of us are for any and every tidbit

I am not sure what is/isn't confidential, so I can't say anything more yet. But I feel comfortable saying that there is at least one significant high-rise tower in development around downtown! I'm sure you'll be hearing more in the next couple of years.
mjp
Reply | Threaded
|

mjp
Got any insider scoops on a new grocery option coming to the downtown area? Would be way more excited to hear about that!
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
Me too!! Where's that Trader Joe's that's been rumored for like five years?

(Nope, sadly none).
Reply | Threaded
|

ChapelHillSean
Haha sorry didn’t realize it was confidential! Sorry about that
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
In reply to this post by ChapelHillSean
FYI, the tower I was talking about all these months ago was just published to TBJ. The design has changed (a different firm is working on it now) but it's the same general idea... demo the existing parking structure and build a tower in its place.
Reply | Threaded
|

KmartFan
Isn't that the location of the parking deck attached to the Durham Clinical Research Building? If so, I have mixed feelings about it...that's the location of a rooftop garden I have countless memories of with my dad, and where I used to go read library books when I lived in downtown Durham 15 years ago...
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
I'm really sorry to hear that; change like this can be so bittersweet sometimes, especially when it's personal to you. I can only imagine how long-time Durham residents feel about all the changes that have happened over the last few decades. I hope you get a chance to make a few more visits while it's still around.

At the same time, I'm excited for the next phase of our city and all the new memories that will be created in this space. New residents, people building their lives and making Durham home, in the place of what used to primarily just house cars.
Gib
Reply | Threaded
|

Gib
Some new renderings, that at least I haven't seen before.

https://craigdavisproperties.com/our-work/durham-center-ii/
rik
Reply | Threaded
|

rik
Looks like the city will be considering selling the parking deck for this project:
https://www.wral.com/durham-city-leaders-to-consider-unsolicited-proposal-to-turn-parking-deck-into-apartments/20449442/
Reply | Threaded
|

CarolinaFan
Interesting comment from that story:

"Developers with Craig Davis Properties (CDP) believe the proposed development entitled "The James" would be the tallest building in downtown Durham."

I wonder if that means they have found a way around the 300' limit downtown?
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
One of the WRAL reporters spoke to the developer and said they are targeting 32 stories so I guess that would be significantly taller than One City Center or The Novus.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WRALSarah/status/1566873795981299712?cxt=HHwWgMCqlc7a074rAAAA
Reply | Threaded
|

KmartFan
I was wondering when this update was going to hit the forums. If the city of Durham is actually going to permit this, they need to start utilizing the McDonald's parcel for something really impressive.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
I don’t have any direct knowledge but came across a tidbit elsewhere that the McDonalds site project will be mid-rise residential. Bummer.

Edited to say: Still a lot better than a standalone McDonalds but not as exciting as most had hoped.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
https://www.wral.com/ceo-of-carolina-theatre-pushes-back-against-5-million-proposal-to-turn-durham-parking-deck-into-residential-tower/20453802/?version=amp

Saw this posted on another forum. Really just don’t understand this mindset at all. If I’m the CEO of the Carolina Theater I want as many people living downtown in close proximity to the venue as possible. People here need to seriously rethink their perspective on parking. Understand that historically parking at or right next to your destination has been the norm but the reality is there is a ton of convenient parking within a short walk from basically anywhere downtown.
Reply | Threaded
|

SemiCharredLife
Six units for $650K? Is that right? That seems off, but I guess I could maybe see it if they're single-family detached homes.

Slightly unrelated: Air rights are really one of the wildest concepts to me - just to say it out loud sounds insane. They already own the airspace _above_ the parking deck.

Reply | Threaded
|

KmartFan
In reply to this post by Durham_Transplant
What in the ham sandwich...why?? It's one of the few remaining parcels left...
Reply | Threaded
|

elevatoroperator
Yeah, I saw the plans. It's nothing impressive, just another 5 over 1 with one retail spot in it. It does look nicer than many of the awful apartment buildings going up on the South end of downtown though.