Hub RTP (formally called RTP Town Center)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Gib
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hub RTP (formally called RTP Town Center)

Gib
This post was updated on .
In follow up to Dave's Quick Hit on October of 2018, Hub RTP might finally be making some progress.
I was trying to find some more info on it and it just so happened that WRAL TechWire posted about it today. I am excited to see if some of these towers shown in the renderings.  This could be a good development to help attract a new headquarters operation. WRAL is saying a Phase 1 ground breaking of this year, with total completion of 2026. It would be great if it could truly become the 'Live, Work, Play' center they are touting it could be.

Orginal Post: http://www.buildingbullcity.com/2018/10/quick-hits-rtp-town-center.html

WRAL Story: https://www.wraltechwire.com/2020/01/07/rtp-will-welcome-first-mixed-use-development-retail-housing-and-more/  (Story was removed from website)

Project Website: https://hub.rtp.org/2018/10/18/willard-retail-to-launch-park-center-development-in-the-heart-of-research-triangle-park/
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hub RTP (formally called RTP Town Center)

Durham_Transplant
FYI the WRAL link doesn’t work and I couldn’t access the story directly either. It’s far past time for more meaningful development in RTP. Really excited about the potential. It’s one of if not the most important drivers of broader economic growth in the Triangle region.
Gib
Reply | Threaded
|

Gib
Thanks, for pointing that out.  Looks like they took it down. Wonder why...

If they repost it, I will update the link
Reply | Threaded
|

ChapelHillSean
I saw it go by my google feed then the link stopped working. How tall were the buildings? I would love for RTP to have some density and a true center to act as the fourth true pillar of the triangle again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dave @ Building Bull City
Administrator
Very interesting!

Part of me thinks that this could be a great dense 4th point in the center of the Triangle as ChapelHillSean mentions. Part of me worries that this will turn into sprawl: reimagined. I suppose we will have to wait and see. I don't really lean one way or the other right now.

At the very least, it will be another option to go and enjoy, especially nearby Boxyard.
Reply | Threaded
|

ChapelHillSean
This post was updated on .
If it is not dense it will never take off. I see so many companies and people shrug off RTP now because it’s not desirable anymore. Desirable means density, restaurants and walk ability which I am fine with.  I have heard leaders at Red Hat say they will never go to RTP or everyone young would quit.
Reply | Threaded
|

Administrator
Sure - but even if it is dense, will it work? RTP was not built as a small town that could grow into a city. The ratio of jobs to living is very different. Even if they construct a town center with a relatively dense residential area, for the most part, people are still commuting in on 147, I-40, etc. So will it feel like a good, dense, walkable area, or will it feel like a fake place - walkable at the core, but a disconnected urban/suburban island?

Honestly, I don't know. It very well could work and I hope it does!
Gib
Reply | Threaded
|

Gib
In reply to this post by Gib
I hope it works, or even just comes to fruition.  If they build as many residential units as they say, that could be a couple thousand people living there.  Hopefully there will be a retail/ restaurant element as well.  I'm sure those that work in RTP would love having more places to grab lunch or a beer after work that's closer to their job.  Even if they do not work or live directly at The Hub, there's still plenty of people nearby that would at least go hangout there, if its desirable.  

It could possibly spur other similar, dense office/ residential development down there.
Reply | Threaded
|

ChapelHillSean
Reply | Threaded
|

Eric
Another article from  yesterday https://abc11.com/5969547/ Looks like they want to break ground in about 3 months....
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
In reply to this post by Gib
I happened to drive past the site of this project today and it looks like site preparation is underway. KDC has a live webcam on their website. Not sure if they released updated renderings to reflect the final design for the first phase. Did not realize the location is right at the 147/40 intersection. Will be highly visible from the highway.

There are some really significant things happening in RTP right now. There have been several recent job announcements from leading biotech companies expanding here. Eli Lilly just bought 110 acres to build a new manufacturing facility. Duke medical school is building out a huge new lab operation at the Parmer RTP campus. And Alexandria Real Estate, a huge life sciences focused REIT, just last week announced that they purchased a significant portion of the Parmer RTP campus for $600MM.
Reply | Threaded
|

Administrator
For all the talk about companies wanting to locate to downtown cores as opposed to office parks, you are absolutely right, there has been a lot of movement here. Of course, RTP is trying to reinvent itself as live/work/play as well.

I am starting to be bullish on the future of RTP.