Durham Belt Line: Updates and Rumors

Dave @ Building Bull City
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Durham Belt Line: Updates and Rumors

AJ Smithson
Thanks for posting this.  I too was frustrated by the fact that things had gone silent for a while.  Great to hear a clear response from the city on it.  Nice work.  Any chance for a similar update on the Ellerbe Creek wetland park at Duke st.  and Trinity ave.?  Thank you!
Reply | Threaded
|

Administrator
I will see what I can drum up! I haven't heard any rumors that there was a problem there (I think it was schedule to take a while).

The last update I heard was about the kids artwork that went up on the fencing near the site: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIrSl58mLJc

Obviously not an actual update, though.
Reply | Threaded
|

ChapelHillSean
I echo AJ here, thanks so much!
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
In reply to this post by Dave @ Building Bull City
Thanks for running this down Dave. Really glad to hear that things are on track. This has the potential to be such an important component of the landscape of downtown with the addition of much needed green space and connectivity between parts of the city.
Reply | Threaded
|

Administrator
I think this has project the most potential to give Durham a real sense of place.

I would classify the Durham Belt Line as the project I am most excited about, above and beyond even ATC2, One City Center, Five Points, etc.

The only rival project will be whenever they finally decide to fix the downtown loop.
Reply | Threaded
|

nicholas
In reply to this post by Dave @ Building Bull City
Wish they could find a way to expedite things a bit.  The South End area of Charlotte has absolutely blown up around their rail trail, and while I realize the dynamics are different (it parallels their light rail), I would expect Durham to see similar results.
Reply | Threaded
|

Wrong side of the tracks
I realize this posting was suppose to be somewhat reassuring that after nearly two decades of promises from the city, that something was finally getting accomplished.
However:  "The “base trail” as described in the Belt Line Master Plan is about 64% funded. The gap is anticipated to be closed with state transportation funds," kind of concerns me.
For those who have followed this since the early aughts, "funds" have been set aside before, only to be reallocated to other projects in other parts of the city. This happened in 2013 and  about 2005.  Until they announce a signed contract with a construction/landscape engineering firm with a definite timetable, I won't buy that any progress has been made.  The timeline gets pushed back every two years.
Reply | Threaded
|

Administrator
That's a fair interpretation. While it has been slow, though, there has been progress. It really wasn't all that long ago that they actually obtained the land for it.
Reply | Threaded
|

Durham_Transplant
It would seem that actually acquiring the land is a big inflection point. The investment there is fairly significant and they have to know that there’s no real resale value. Would seem that they’d want to be fairly confident in fully funding the project before purchasing the land. But perhaps I’m giving the city too much credit.